Monday, October 7, 2013

Red Hill by Jamie McGuire - A Review

Red HillRed Hill by Jamie McGuire
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was debating between a 4 and a 5 on this one. So, really it's a 4.5 :)

The characters are very real and easy to connect to. The story is engaging, it pulls you in from the beginning. I love page turners and this definitely was one for me. I just wanted to keep reading to find out what happens next!

The beginning was a tad confusing to me, I would have liked to have seen a little more explanation of how this disease came to be. That part was very vague which maybe was the intention since it's just the background story to these people's lives, but I still would liked to have seen just a little bit more.

There were also a couple parts in the book that just didn't make a lot of sense, but I won't go into which parts, there are some serious spoilers if I do.

The "zombie" part was very well written. It was scary and gross, but not overly so. Bad idea to read this when it's time to get flu shots for my boys ;)

I was emotionally attached to the main characters, all the characters introduced along the way too, right away and cried at least 4 times reading this book.

The "love story" aspect of this book is muti-faceted. We get to see so many different levels and types of love. There's the strong love of a parent, soul-mate love, new found love, I-can't-have-you-but-I-want-you love, and the strong binding love of people going through something horrific together.

I like it when stories are told from more than one point of view, but if you don't then this book is not for you, but try it anyway!

It's definitely worth a read!!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment